In 2008, Bonner Paddock summited Mount Kilimanjaro, the world’s tallest freestanding mountain. Four years later, he earned the elite triathlete title, Kona Ironman. Thousands have done each individually. Bonner is the first person with cerebral palsy to do both. When Bonner was born, his umbilical cord had coiled twice around his neck, depriving him of oxygen, causing parts of his brain to die. That cord didn't take his life, but it changed it forever. Diagnosed in his youth, Bonner swore he wouldn’t let this neurological disorder limit him, and for twenty-nine years he guarded the truth about his health. But the sudden death of a friend’s young son who also suffered from CP forced Bonner to re-evaluate his life. No longer would he be content striving for normal. Instead, he would live life to its fullest, pursuing one breathtaking experience at a time—while raising money for special needs children along the way—and never turn down a challenge for fear of his physical limitations. His monumental climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro was documented in the film Beyond Limits and helped raise money for the construction of a new childcare center in Orange County, providing early treatment for children with all types of physical disabilities. Bonner took his vision global and has been building more centers around the world to help children live better lives. When he completed the Kona Ironman… which is 140 miles of racing…. in 16 1/2 hours, he raised over $560,000 for special needs children. His is a remarkable journey that has taken him across the globe and introduced him to a fascinating cast of characters who have supported his inspiring quest. An athlete, adventurer, and philanthropist, Bonner is today no longer defined by his limits, but by the moments that pushed him past them. One More Step shows us that we can all conquer our own challenges and embrace every moment life has to offer.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why did Bonner struggle so much with his attitude the first 30 years of his life?
- What was the series of events that led to the one day that would change his life forever?
- Why was it so challenging and so important for Bonner to pour his heart and soul into his book?
- When did his purpose become clear to Bonner?
- How did Bonner decide who was going to be on his team to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro?
- What were the gifts given back to him while training for the Kona Ironman as a result of vulnerability?
- Why was the physical, mental, and emotional struggle he experienced coming down from the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro so symbolic of where he was in life?
- What does ‘Living Beyond Limits’ mean?